10 Simple Things You Can Do To Get Your Home Sold
Here are some inexpensive but very helpful things to put on your 'to-do' list before you put your home on the market.
1. Clean the exterior and landscape. They don't call it curb appeal for nothing.
2. Make the front door stand out. While you may not use the front door, your Realtor will be bring prospective buyers into your home through the front door and that door will be the first impression they have of your home.
3. Evaluate every door. Update interior doors as needed or at least replace hinges and knobs.
4. Look down. Flooring is another one of those things that buyers will notice quickly. Does your carpet need cleaned or replaced?
5. Be careful with the 'scents.' While the smell of pets, litter boxes, or a musty basement are sure turn offs and need to be removed or neutralized, don't overdo it with heavily scented air freshners that may cause a buyer to wonder what other odor you are trying to mask.
6. Spot treat as needed. Scuff marks on walls, nail holes and paint cracks are noticable and need to be corrected. Go one step further and remove any peeling wallpaper and repain in neutral tones.
7. Keep everything in its place. If there is clutter around the house the message is that there is not enough space for everything. A good idea is to remove off season clothing or anything not currently needed from closets to keep them roomy looking.
8. Check your cabinets. Do they need any repair or maintenance. Do the doors open and close correctly? Do the drawers slide freely? Check to see if the hardware screws need tightened.
9. Make your appliances shine. Clean the oven, refrigerator, and other appliances inside and out. The cleaner they are the better.
10. Do a simple, inexpensive update to your bathroom. Replacing the faucets, shower head, shower curtain, towel bar and toilet paper holder can make a big difference here for a small price.
Small things can make a big difference with having your home on the market for sale. Sometimes it's the smaller things that buyers notice.
Still need more advice on getting your home market-ready? Contact me for my list of "17 Things You Can Do to Increase Your Home's Curb Appeal."
Tony Morganti, CRS, ABR